By Zoe Purcell • Published on 3rd April, 2023
1. The Royal Bath & West Society is the oldest agricultural society in the UK. Founded in September 1777 by Edmund Rack, it wasn’t the first agricultural society, but it has outlived all its predecessors
2. The Royal Bath & West Society is a registered charity, with a remit to offer grants and awards for the promotion of agriculture and rural crafts. In the last 12 months, The Royal Bath & West Society has provided 11 grants to students and given 14 Awards. We have also supported other organisations with funding including FWAG, WCDA & the Guernsey Cattle Society. The Royal Bath & West Society also promotes agriculture to the wider public through activities including the Field to Food Learning Day, the Royal Bath & West Show and their recently launched Education Hub.
3. The Royal Bath & West Society moved to the Bath & West Showground in 1965 and now has over half a million visitors pass through its gates each year. The Bath & West Showground is a busy event venue, with a variety of events taking place each weekend including music festivals, flea markets, sports events, car shows and craft fairs. With a variety of different sized buildings available, the 240-acre site can cater for just about any event!
4. The Bath & West Team are a small (but mighty) team of 21, who are responsible for running a variety of events on the Showground, working closely with event clients to support them in the delivery of their events and the day to day running & maintenance of the site.
5. You can become a Member of the Royal Bath & West Society, which helps us to continue to fulfil our charitable objectives…and gives you FREE entry to the Royal Bath & West Show. Whether you’re a couple, a business or a farmer, there are a variety of membership packages available.
You can visit www.bathandwestsociety.com to find out more about the history of the Royal Bath & West Society, meet the team of staff & trustees who work tirelessly all year round, to find out more about funding from the Royal Bath & West Society or to become a Member!